Wednesday, May 09, 2007

My Chinese New Year Paintings (2003-2005)

Painted by Kai Teh, 2003

The painting with green plant or what my mum call it "Guan Yin Bamboo" was the first plant I brought to university with me during my first year. I had to bring it to and fro from my house when the semester breaks came. However, this plant was already dead (don't know which semester already)! It was also a visible mark for my friends to recognise me because I put the bamboo beside my beg! The bamboo made me stand out from the crowd. My friend actually spotted me in a bus because of my plant! Haha! This bamboo had accompanied me during Chinese New Year 2003!

Actually, this painting was not completed. I should had painted the water in the vase (ice cream cup) too. But because of mood and time, I just left it like that. The writing was added later too when I bought the new brush for caligraphy writing.
Painted by Kai Teh, 2004(5?)
The second painting, with the oranges, was also painted before Chinese New Year. Actually, I would like to paint it with red colour because Chinese New Year is full of red colour. However, I was thinking like, um, back in the very very old days, would they be just using the black ink only? And I want to create a feeling like the Chinese New Year was celebrated in a very very old, tradition and moderate ways. The only thing that I was not satisfied with this painting was the word " 春 ". I shouldn't have overlap the word on the oranges. I should have let the word be incomplete so it seem more realistic.
Well, the paintings were just all about my mood! So, just let it be...not so perfect.

No comments: